Friday, March 31, 2006

Bye bye Angel


Yesterday, when talking to NU on the phone during both of our lunch breaks, I described the appearance of someone I like as “Victorian consumptive.” After hearing her reaction, I realized that this may not be appealing to everyone. I was kind of trying to promote the type of look embodied by the delicately frail men in Meat Cake comics, or by the vampires on Buffy. Then I thought, Sheesh. I find vampires sexually attractive (aside: so does Buffy)? What’s wrong with me?

Basically it’s probably this: I’m all about the damaged goods. I mean look at my relationship history: sufferers of horrible depression and panic attacks, Morrissey worshippers, goths (ok, just one, thank god), addicts, poets, and slaves to dark, brooding souls. (Or in Choad’s case, a slave to preconceived notions of what everyone else, including himself, was supposed to be. And a slave to cataloging useless information as a substitute for real human emotion. Though they’ve all been collectors. And D&D players, come to think of it, though no dungeon masters. I want a dungeon master.) Their appearances were even similar: 10,000 feet tall (at 6’3, Choad was actually one of the shortest people I’ve dated), about 100 pounds, ghost white skin, dark eyes, and a kind of ravaged look caused by various vices and mysterious ailments. Not to overanalyze (though it is of course what I do best) the tall/skinny thing seems to represent the kind of half-a-person thing I’m attracted too. This look seems to say: “I should be a much bigger person, but I don’t know how to take care of myself. I need someone to help me. Shrew, maybe you could, you know…enable me.”

Which makes it surprising/not surprising at all that the person I’m attracted to now is very vital-looking. Sure, he has crooked teeth (I don’t know if it’s my anglophilia or what, but I’m all about this) and he’s small, but he SHOULD be small. He’s kind of short. And his whole smallness thing goes really well with his demeanor, which often resembles that of an excited little kid (though he’s also good at being a serious adult). Don't get me wrong: he's a total geek. (Also don't get me wrong: we're just friends at this point.) But he doesn't really seem to hate himself. Meeting him has made me realize how much energy one could have for other things in a relationship if one wasn’t constantly monitoring behavior, placing cold cloths on foreheads, and worrying about what new kind of self-destructive behavior these losers could dream up. It's exciting but also a little terrifying, in that it might mean that someday I could have a relationship with a ME component. The thought makes me want to run, a little. It also makes me feel a very tiny little bit like going into one of those Moonwalk things and jumping up and down.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a teen, I gravitated towards gangly, needy, underdog misfits. Then I switched to charismatics/crowd-pleasers in my late teens and early twenties. Next, I finally started finding myself attracted to "nice" types, or at least, the people who are really good at packaging and presenting themselves as the archetypal nice guy, when actually they just save all their rage and bitterness for the private sphere.

All along I have asked myself, "Do I gravitate towards unhealthy people because I am so unhealthy myself, or am I just a bad judge of character?"

I've decided that both are true to some extent, but that I shouldn't beat myself up too badly about it because when it comes down to it, relationships are still very much a crap shoot, even for the most healthy and perceptive among us. These days I am content to improve my own relationship skills so that, no matter what heart-breaking events may await me, I can be satisfied knowing that I gave it my all. This will at least cut down on the guilt factor if things go sour, and who knows, it may even prevent the sourness.

(I hope this doesn't sound like a lecture. It's really just me being introspective.)

7:16 PM  
Blogger Who's the dourest of them all? said...

This post is ages old, and it seems silly to add something so so so after the fact, but: don't you ever wonder if every person in the world is pretty fucked up in relationships? We all have behaviors that we don't monitor to a greater or lesser extent, and that even without evil intent we impinge upon the freedom, happiness, and self-understanding of those we love and cohabitate with?

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home