Sunday, October 15, 2006

I've been addicted

to this for awhile.

I just spent a good part of this weekend in heated debate about the stealing of Gram Parsons' body. I mean a long time of being very defensive and hating on Phil Kaufman. If you don't know the story, GP's road manager stole his dead body from an airport in a stolen hearse, then burned it inadequately in the California desert, leaving his estranged family to pick up the remains (left on the side of the road) to bury in New Orleans (where Gram is not from). I'm not going to go on and on about how I feel about this. I'll just say that while I know I am obsessed with dead people as a way to avoid the complexities of my nondead life, I can't stand some of mythologizing that takes place as a result of cute guys dying young. Of course, my obsession with GP would probably lessen if he had died of old guy stuff, but I must say that most of my obsessions with dead musicians has to do with their music and not with their druggy deaths.

On a slightly related note: I think GP might still be alive today if he hadn't had a trust fund.

Ok, now I'm going to go get a life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home