Monday, January 30, 2006

Dead Crush #11


When I was in college, I took a course my senior year called “Elvis as Anthology,” taught by an African Studies professor named Peter Nazareth. Peter Nazareth’s whole Elvis thing was that 1) Elvis had created a “pastiche” of different types of music, rather than blatantly stealing music from marginalized artists, and was therefore a brilliant collage artist rather than a cheating sponge; and 2) Elvis spent his life “twinning” himself to other family members and musicians as a result of his twin’s (Jesse) death at birth. I could go on at length about the pastiche thing, which seems like a nice idea if Elvis was savvy enough to be aware that he was doing this (not so much, in my opinion). But what gives me my feelings of tender love toward Elvis are: 1) The movie Blue Hawaii and 2) his dead twin and his lifelong search for near-perfect twin love.

I wish I could explain how much I loved the Elvis class. I would leave every session with an open but blank notebook—I was too rapt with awe to even take notes. I remember very little from my undergrad years, but I do remember trudging to this course even during an Iowa blizzard, while the rest of my roommates stayed at home in pajamas in front of MTV. I was amazed that it was possible to make a career out of listening to the song “That’s All Right, Mama” over and over for a good 10 years and then writing about it. We spent most of each Elvis class listening to Elvis music and then listening to Nazareth tell us about how the song evidenced Elvis’ obsessive twinned relationship with his mother. In this world, weird obsessions were considered academic and were sometimes even published. For about 6 months, this is what I wanted to do. I stopped writing poetry and started writing essays about Rock Hudson, fifties melodrama, the Beatles. I wrote a 20-page paper on the music of John Lennon, where I examined the significance of double tracking and his codependent relationships.

I thought that my interest in Elvis probably had a great deal to do with his twinness. As a twin myself, I felt so sad for him, as he never got to love his twin and had to spend his whole life trying to recreate this unique relationship with mere singletons. In my early-to-mid twenties, I felt a little bit sorry for the twinless as they desperately looked for love in significant others. The poor things couldn’t experience the pure love that can only be had by people who share exact DNA. What I didn’t realize was that I WAS constantly twinning myself to various individuals, just as Elvis had done with his mother and his wife. These pseudo twins just didn’t happen to be people I made out with.

When my sister and I were 18, we had only been separated once before, that I remember—when I went to volleyball camp for a week at the age of 13 (don’t ask). So when we went to different colleges, she to a teeny Quaker school in Indiana and me to a mega university in central Iowa, it was like having my arm ripped off. The ripping was particularly slow and painful, however—I didn’t really notice it happening, as I was so in love with starting over in a place where no one knew me. Gradually I began to feel it, though: the socket of her absence.

In the meantime, I was hard at work on a very codependent relationship with the girl who lived across from me in my dorm, G. She was my best friend, the first one I’d ever had (it’s hard to count your sister as your best friend). We had a highly competitive, jealous, and drama-filled relationship. One day we weren’t speaking; the next, we devised intricate plans to seduce an attractive geek from our Biology lecture. When G. finally ended up making out with this geek in the study lounge, I was beyond angry, mostly because we both realized by this time that G. was gay, though we hadn’t discussed it yet. When she finally did come out to me and started dating women, our relationship improved immensely, though I’m still pretty sure that what had made our relationship so weird up to that point was that we were probably in love with each other and were both too sexually confused to be ok with that.

Since then, I’m fine with the fact that I often “fall in love” with my female friends. I feel a great deal of love and devotion toward them, feelings I have never purely felt toward the people I sleep with. I have “twinned” myself to about a dozen or so women over the years. What’s weird is that my sister does not do this—she is able somehow to have one long-distance twin, while I need to have at least 2 twins if not more. And I don’t understand why I never make my boyfriends my twins (on a couple of occasions, men have played the role of “female twin,” oddly enough) In fact, I’m often pleased when they are jealous of my relationships with women. It seems like a message to them that I don’t really need them. Yes, it is all very fucked up. Hence the $200 a month on therapy.

But I don’t think I’m crazy. I think my dedication to my friends is a good thing. And I wouldn’t describe any of my present friendships with females as unhealthy (this wasn’t always the case). I don’t know if I do this because I’m a twin. But I’m so intrigued by Elvis and by other people who are twinless twins. Though I am only twinless right now because my twin happens to live a million or so miles away, I recognize that my relationships alter dramatically when I’m not living near her. When we lived together in NH, I had no female best friend UNTIL my sister told me she was getting married. Within months, my girlfriend J. and I were inseparable. Please remember that I also had a boyfriend of two years at this point. Who knows where the hell he was. Well, I actually have a pretty good idea about where he was. Apparently non-twins have this need as well. Maybe we are all psychic twinless twins. Maybe that’s just a human condition.

These days, I’m not looking for any kind of twin, except maybe my inner twin. Usually this would be the point where I’d start looking for another male to torture. It feels really great to make the conscious decision not to do this. I though I would be afraid of the silence after Mr. Choad left, but it turns out that there is quite a racket in my head. It keeps me pretty occupied. And all of my “twins” out there have been essential in helping me to tune this incredibly staticky radio which is my head…much more helpful than turning it off, the way that those nontwin boyfriends convinced me to do on a daily basis for nearly ten years. And the way I let them.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you please define "twinning" for me? I think I sort of get it, but I want to be sure. I know when I was young I used to take on the characteristics of my friends without realizing it, but to a degree that made outside observers see me as phony. You know, I'd start talking, dressing, and behaving more like them. My interests would be more like theirs, etc. BUT, I tended to inspire similar behavior in the friend/partner, so that we both sort of became each other for a while. I'm sure this is terribly unhealthy, but I was usually not aware that it was happening until someone pointed it out to me in a snobby sort of way. I don't know if this is anything like twinning, but it's the first thing that came to my mind.

8:20 AM  
Blogger LCALeasure said...

you know, the dna connection is interesting, period, nevermind the exact stuff. I mean, when i met my half brothers it was this weird sense of coming home. Wonder why? I'm pretty resistant to the idea that blood is thicker than water, but...

And I love the last paragraph here. No, I love this whole entry.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Julia Story said...

I think for me (and Elvis) twinning is an attempt to create a whole self via another person. I don't know if, for me, it had much to do with becoming more and more more like that person, it was more just the belief that you need a person-appendage in order to be whole. The people I now call twins (including my real twin) would probably be more aptly described as FRIENDS or something, since I'm learning that I'm actually whole without any of them. They just make life better.

But now that I think about it, I've often adopted the traits of my friends, especially speaking qualities. When I watch the video my girlfriends and I made when I was 20, I barely recognize my voice--it is very low and sarcastic, like theirs. Our voices are identical and creepy.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

"What Larry McCaslin saw in Rahel's eyes was not despair at all, but a sort of enforced optimism. And a hollow where Estha's words had been. He couldn't be expected to understand that. That the emptiness in one twin was only a version of the quietness in the other. That the two things fitted together. Like stacked spoons. Like familiar lovers' bodies." - Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things

If you haven't read it yet, well, do so. You'll like it. I think.

And on another note, I started writing you a poem today. Well, you and a few other people all at once. But I was writing the you part today. Maybe someday it will be done and you can read it. Until then, kick the slow walking bitch square in the Achilles heel and move on with your day. Violence is always the answer. Or violent blogging is always the answer. Something like that...

Much Bishkek love your way, Ms. Shrew.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Julia Story said...

Someone else just recommended this book to me, like this very weekend. So I guess I better read it.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home